Exploring West Cornwall from Ednovean Farm
Ednovean Farm is a great base to explore West Cornwall and the Lizard peninsular from and an even better spot to leave the car and walk across our fields to Perranuthnoe and join the coastal footpath.
The Penwith Tour – a car tour to explore West Cornwall
Explore West Cornwall by car following the “Penwith Tour” following the road that hugs the coast through old mining towns and fishing villages to Land’s End and then on the St Ives through atmospheric unspoilt countryside with field boundaries unchanged since the Bronze age. You will discover fabulous sandy beaches and world famous theatres along the way and may even have time for that Cornish “must do” a Cream Tea. I’ve broken down this tour into four parts starting with Marazion and the iconic Michaela’s mount – the jewel in Mounts bays crown
For our personal recommendations, photos, background information, history and directions follow the link bellow to explore this fascinating part of Cornwall away from the beaten track of the tourist guides.
We took a walk through nature’s garden around Land’s End this week along dramatic cliff tops laced with bluebells tumbling towards the sea. May has been a fabulous month in Cornwall and so for a couple of hours we stole away to thread our way through the wild flowers and watched the sea swirl around the rocks below in the far most southwesterly tip of the British Isles at Land’s End Continue reading “Walking in natures garden – Land’s End” »
Two super walks lead from Perranuthnoe and they are such a wonderful way to absorb the cornish coastline and take the day at a slower pace.
- Westwards to Marazion and St Michael’s Mount or on to Penzance, Newlyn and Mousehole further around Mounts Bay, if you are feeling really energetic. There is a bus route home again!
- Eastwards passed secret coves to Cudden point to the magical 17c smugglers haunt of Prussia Cove for a morning walk or on passed Praa sands the iconic engine houses of Rinsey to Porthleven again this is a day walk. Don’t worry the main Helston to Penzance bus route runs parallel to the coast for both of these walks along the A394 will drop you home to us again just ask for “Perran cross roads”
- Walking in Cornwall website – A large directory of printable walks around the Penzance area and throughout Cornwall.
- The South West Coastpath website – A great resource for walkers
Perranuthnoe is a peaceful village and the road stops when it reaches the sea. We are so lucky to have two great cafes, one on the beach and one beside the shops and galleries and a famous gastro pub for you to walk to when staying with us
Our latest review from a visit to the Victoria Inn for more restaurant recommendations around West cornwall why not try my “Little black book”
We set out down to the village for a winters night treat at The Victoria Inn last night. I’ve often booked tables for our Bed and Breakfast our guests to enjoy their Monday special of a Pie and pint for an enticing £12 each and last night the temptation was too much for us and we set out into the velvety night for Perranuthnoe.
The Victoria is a handsome old building and just cut out for the Christmas season with that special atmosphere in its ancient walls, cosy interior and inglenook fireplaces. Continue reading “A winter treat at the Victoria Inn” »
- The Victoria Inn, Perranuthnoe
- The Peppercorn Kitchen, Perranuthnoe
- The Cabin Beach Cafe, Perranuthnoe
Arts & Museums
Tremenheere gardens hold a growing world class collection of sculptures and a recreated Chelsea Gold Medal winning garden Tremenheere has a fabulous setting cocooned within a cathedral like woodland that embraces an inspirational sub tropical planting against the counter point of extensive views over Mounts bay. Continue reading “Exploring Tremenheere Sculpture gardens” »
Useful links for more information about galleries Museums and theatres in West Cornwall
- Tate St Ives
- Barbara Hepworth Museum & Gardens
- Penlee House Museum & Gallery
- Newlyn & Exchange Galleries
- Porthcurno Telegraph Museum
- Minack Theatre – Cornwall’s world famous cliff top, open air theatre
- Newlyn School of Art
- Geevor Mining Museum
Houses & Gardens near Penzance
Explore the working harbour and dry dock in Penzance before climbing the Abbey slip-way into the historic Chapel street or strolling to the Promenade with the Art Deco Jubilee Pool. The Penlee House Museum and Gallery with its ever changing exhibits of works from the highly collectable Penzance and Newlyn School Paintings is definitely one for your bucket list.
Also in the Penzance area:-